HistoryTuscarora Lutheran Parish | Mercersburg • Upton • Williamson
St. Luke’s Lutheran Church WILLIAMSON
Organized by the efforts of the Reverend T. O. Keister, the St. Luke’s congregation was founded on September 16, 1900. Originally, church services were held at the Progressive Dunkard Church. The present-day church was completed a few years later and was formally dedicated on August 3, 1902. In 1913 and 1964, significant additions were built to serve the growing needs of the congregation.
St. Stephen’s Lutheran Church
In 1857, a group of Upton residents formed the St. Stephen’s Lutheran and St. Stephen’s United Church of Christ congregations. They began holding joint services at the Sylvan Grove School. The new church building, which became the St. Stephen’s U.C.C., was dedicated on August 7, 1858. The two congregations shared the building, providing joint Sunday School classes and alternating worship services each Sunday.
The Lutheran and U.C.C. congregations separated in 1962, with the U.C.C. congregation taking possession of the original church property. For a few years, the St. Stephen’s Lutheran Church held services at the Upton Community Center. The present-day church was formally dedicated on May 22, 1966.
By the late 1960’s, St. Luke’s and St. Stephen’s churches had merged into the Williamson-Upton Lutheran Parish. Both churches recognize the dedication and sacrifice of past generations, and we seek to continue to proclaim God’s Love in Jesus Christ to present and future generations.